- Improved post-processing of night-time air temperature data from CFSv2 and MERRA-2 model outputs. Updated lapse rate used for spatial downscaling of TEMP data to 1km resolution.
- This change affects Solargis time series: historical, recent, nowcast and forecast.
- All regions are affected but most significant corrections are seen in the coasts of California, Namibia and Chile, western Canada and Yakutia (Russia).
- Time series data from GOES-West satellite region, covering Northwest USA, West Canada and Hawaii were re-analyzed. The update affects period between January and October 2018.
- Terrain shading model has been improved in the calculation of diffuse irradiance. This change affects Solargis time series data: historical, recent, nowcast and forecast.
- Solar radiation calculation scheme has been improved for Americas, Middle East, Asia and Pacific by implementing better management of raw satellite data. The values of GHI, DNI, DIF, GTI and PVOUT parameters are affected by new version of the Solargis model only in rare cases related to a specific segment geometry.
- New parameters have been introduced (available via API and FTP): PV Module Temperature (TMOD) and Precipitation Rate (PREC). TMOD is useful for evaluation of daytime temperature of PV modules, and for calculation of temperature-corrected performance ratio. PREC can be used for improved understanding of soiling and cleaning of PV modules.
- Nowcasting service was extended to Australia, Morocco and Canary Islands
- Geographical coverage of forecasting service based on postprocessing of the IFS outputs (the model operated by ECMWF) was extended to Northeast China, Turkey, Jordan, New Caledonia, Kenya, Morocco and Canary Islands.
The historical database of meteorological parameters (air temperature, wind speed, relative humidity and air pressure) has been improved:
- The primary source of meteorological parameters for years 1994 to 2010 has been changed from the CFSR model (NOAA) to MERRA-2 model (NASA). MERRA-2 provides more stable results for historical years in some regions, eg. in South America, Northern, and Equatorial Africa
- Better harmonization of MERRA-2 database (years 1994 to 2010) and CFSv2 database (years from 2011 onwards)
- Post-processing of air temperature was enhanced. The accuracy of air temperature has been improved in most of the regions, especially in the mountains. Solargis output grid resolution for air temperature remains 1 km
- Precipitable water (PWAT) data is derived from GFS model (NOAA) in hourly resolution
- A new parameter characterizing snow depth water equivalent (SDWE) has been introduced
Solar radiation data for region covered by Meteosat Second Generation (MSG) IODC satellite was re-calculated for year 2017
- Solar radiation data for 2017 were re-analysed and gap-filling was improved
- Solar radiation data for whole 2017 are now calculated using satellite inputs from MSG IODC satellite. For period 1999-2016, satellite imagery is used from MFG IODC satellite. Previously MFG IODC imagery was used also for January 2017.